My Dog Ate an Advil What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kyoko •  Updated: 04/10/20 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Do you have Advil in your medicine cabinet? Chances are that you do. In fact, many of us carry Advil (generic name: ibuprofen) in purses, keep them stashed in a drawer at the office or at home. For this reason, the problem of ibuprofen poisoning has been growing in dogs.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is Ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). It’s a human medication that’s used to lower fever, reduce inflammation and relieve pain. For us, ibuprofen is generally safe when taken at the recommended dose. It’s a commonly used OTC medication.

Ibuprofen comes under many brand names including:

While this medicine is safe humans, it can be toxic for dogs. Even a small amount of this drug can poison a dog.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Symptoms of Ibuprofen Toxicity in Dogs

If your fur baby has ingested ibuprofen, he may show these signs and symptoms:

That’s a hefty number of signs and symptoms, which is because ibuprofen is highly toxic to dogs.

What to Do If Your Dog Ingests Advil

If your fur baby has eaten ibuprofen or you even suspect he may have swallowed some ibuprofen, then call the vet immediately. If possible, be sure to take the medication bottle with to the vet’s office.

When you get to the vet, they will do a thorough physical exam and will ask you about any signs and symptoms that you’ve noticed. They may also ask about how long ago your dog ate the pill and what dose (how many pills) do you think he ate.

From here, the vet will likely order some tests including a complete blood count, chemistry panel, urinalysis (to check kidney function), and a renal panel.

Treatment will depend on how much medication your canine companion swallowed and what time this happened. The vet may give your fur baby activated charcoal to keep the medication from being absorbed as it passes through the digestive tract. Other treatment may include supportive fluids through an IV, flushing of your pup’s stomach, and more.

The prognosis of dogs poisoned by ibuprofen is high, if they receive prompt treatment. The sooner your fur baby sees the vet for treatment, the higher are his chances for surviving this medical emergency.

(Visited 2,175 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading