My Dog Ate American Cheese Wrapper What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 02/04/23 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate American Cheese Wrapper

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Some dogs will eat almost anything, especially if it smells like food! Do you have a canine companion who digs in the trash? It’s a common problem! Nothing’s worse than when your dog eats something like an American cheese wrapper.

The wrapper probably smelled like cheese, and your dog dug it out of the trash and ate it! But what happens if a dog eats an American cheese wrapper?

Has your dog eaten an American cheese wrapper? Are you worried that the American cheese wrapper will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

We’ve gathered information about American cheese wrappers and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is an American Cheese Wrapper?

American cheese is often sold in individually wrapped slices of cheese. The wrappers are made of clear plastic that’s not edible. The wrapper is pliable but is not digestible.

So, what happens if a dog eats an American cheese wrapper?

American Cheese Wrapper & Dogs

Unfortunately, the American cheese wrapper can be a choking hazard, or it can cause a condition called intestinal blockage. The condition is caused when the cheese wrapper becomes lodged anywhere in the dog’s digestive tract and can be life-threatening if not treated.

However, in larger dogs, it’s possible that the plastic may pass through their digestive tracts and come out in their poop. Even so, it’s best to call the vet if your dog has eaten a plastic wrapper.

Symptoms of American Cheese Wrapper Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an American cheese wrapper:

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Note: If you can see the wrapper at the back of your dog’s mouth and reach it with your fingers, pull the wrapper out. If not, get your dog to the vet ASAP.

Treatment of American Cheese Wrapper Ingestion in Dogs

Treatment depends on the vet’s diagnosis. For instance, if your dog is choking, the vet will remove the plastic wrapper from your dog’s mouth or esophagus. It may be necessary to use an endoscopic procedure to remove the wrapper.

On the other hand, if the vet diagnoses your fur baby with an intestinal blockage, they will need to perform surgery. The surgery is done to remove the blockage safely and repair any damage that may have been done to your dog’s digestive tract.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating an American cheese wrapper. In the future, you may want to invest in a dog-proof waste basket to keep your fur baby out of the trash. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 974 times, 2 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading