My Dog Ate Aluminum Foil What Should I Do?
Dogs will go after anything that smells good and/or involves food! That even includes swallowing aluminum foil just to enjoy a small taste of something good you had for dinner! Yuck!
It’s important to know that this is a very common issue with dogs. In most cases, if the amount of aluminum foil was small, then the dog will eventually poop it out. However, it can cause problems in larger amounts.
What is Aluminum Foil?
Aluminum foil is something that many of us have at home in the pantry. It’s often used to cover food when cooking and then store foods to keep them fresher. But what is this stuff?
Aluminum foil is a shiny sheet of metal that’s made from aluminum. It’s usually very thin and we use it at home for baking, cooking, storage of foods, and more.
The metallic element, aluminum, is found all through nature. In fact, it naturally occurs in the foods we eat, the water drink, and more. It’s even found in some of our medications. This means that in small amounts aluminum is not harmful. However, it can be dangerous for dogs.Check Price on Amazon
How is Aluminum Foil Dangerous to Dogs?
There are four main ways that aluminum can be dangerous if ingested by your dog:
1). Choking hazard: the foil can pose a choking hazard if ingested by a dog. This is especially the case if the foil was crumpled up before your dog swallowed it. This can be a life-threatening emergency.
2). Intestinal blockage: it is possible for the aluminum foil to become lodged in your dog’s digestive tract. This can lead to an intestinal blockage, which is a life-threatening medical emergency.
3). Ingredients on foil: the foil may be covered in substances that are dangerous to dogs including chocolate, fat, and more.
4). Puncture/tears: the edges of aluminum foil can be sharp, which can cause tears in the mouth or esophagus, or even punctures in anywhere along the digestive tract.
Symptoms of Aluminum Foil Problems in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested aluminum foil:
- Abdominal pain/swelling
- Loss of appetite
- Other signs of distress
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening emergency.
Treatment of Aluminum Foil Ingestion in Dogs
Treatment will depend on the type and severity of symptoms your dog is experiencing. In the event that the vet finds an intestinal blockage your fur baby will probably require surgery.
In most cases, with quick medical treatment, your dog will make a full recovery. He’ll be back to himself in no time after ingesting aluminum foil!