Many of us have allergies to things in our environment. This can include plants, animals, foods, and more. Doctors prescribe allergy pills to ease the unpleasant allergy symptoms. The pills are very effective (in many cases). But a curious dog may find your allergy pills and eat one! What happens if your dog eats an allergy pill?
Has your dog eaten an allergy pill? Are you worried that the allergy pill will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about allergy pills and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Allergy Pills?
Allergy pills are medications used to treat allergies. They work to relieve the symptoms of an allergic reaction, including a runny nose, itchy/watery eyes, hives, swelling, and more. Many of these medications are now available over the counter, but they’re also prescribed by the doctor.
Some of the most common allergy pills available OTC include Dimetane, Zyrtec, ChlorTrimeton, Tavist, Benadryl, Allegra, and Claritin. However, there are also other OTC brands available.
The ingredients used in each allergy pill can vary, depending on the pharmaceutical company. Some allergy medications are combined with other ingredients, such as aspirin, caffeine, dextromethorphan, pseudoephedrine, and others.
While allergy pills are safe for humans (when used as directed), what about dogs? Can an allergy pill make a dog sick?
Allergy Pills & Dogs
Unfortunately, antihistamines can be toxic for dogs. It depends on the specific medication & its ingredients and the amount of medication a dog eats.
There are some antihistamines that are used in the veterinary treatment of allergies in dogs. Some of these are the same medications used for humans. However, the dose of these medications may be smaller for dogs.
Symptoms of Antihistamine Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an antihistamine pill:
- Rapid heartbeat
- Irregular heartbeat
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Be sure to let the vet know what medication your dog has eaten, the pill’s dose, and how much of the medication your dog has eaten.
Treatment of Allergy Pill Ingestion in Dogs
The vet may try to induce vomiting and use activated charcoal. These methods remove the medication from your dog’s system. In some cases, the vet may also need to use gastric lavage to ensure the medication is out of your dog’s body.
The vet will then treat other symptoms as they arise. Your fur baby may need an IV with fluids and to administer medications. In some cases, your dog may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt treatment after eating an allergy pill. In the future, it’s best to keep all medications out of your dog’s reach (including his own meds). You’ll both be happier for it!