My Dog Ate Ageless Oxygen Absorber What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kyoko •  Updated: 03/01/23 •  4 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog ate Ageless Oxygen Absorber

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many food products include small packets that help keep them fresh, such as Ageless Oxygen Absorbers. Most of us think nothing of throwing these packets in the trash after opening the food. But what happens if your dog finds and eats an Ageless Oxygen Absorber?

Has your dog eaten an Ageless Oxygen Absorber? Are you worried that the Ageless Oxygen Absorber will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Ageless Oxygen Absorbers and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is an Ageless Oxygen Absorber?

The Ageless Oxygen Absorber is a small packet that’s found in a wide range of food products. The packets contain iron and some other chemicals. These packets are pretty interesting and work on the concept that iron rusts.

Rust is created when iron meets oxygen. The oxygen causes the iron to rust, creating that orangey-red crust on an iron surface. This principle can also be used to preserve foods.

The iron in the Ageless Oxygen Absorber “rusts” when the packets absorb oxygen. They work to keep food fresher by not allowing mold growth and more.

While Ageless Oxygen Absorbers are safe when used as directed, what happens if a dog eats one of these packets?

Ageless Oxygen Absorbers & Dogs

Unfortunately, Ageless Oxygen Absorbers can be toxic to dogs. As the packets absorb oxygen, the iron inside turns to iron oxide. Iron oxide is not toxic; however, it can cause GI upset. And if a dog eats one more of these packets, they could become lodged in the digestive tract and cause an intestinal blockage.

If your dog has eaten a small amount of iron oxide, he should be OK. However, it’s possible that the iron oxide in the packet could cause irritation of the GI tract and the esophagus. And if your dog has eaten more than one packet, it’s best to call the vet right away.

Symptoms of Ageless Oxygen Absorbers in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Ageless Oxygen Absorbers:

Ingested the Iron Oxide Only (from one packet):

Ingested More Than One Packet:

If your dog has eaten only the iron oxide inside one packet, he may experience diarrhea and vomiting that lasts for 12-24 hours. If it lasts longer than this, call the vet. Your fur baby could become dehydrated from persistent vomiting and diarrhea.

If your dog has symptoms of intestinal obstruction, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Ageless Oxygen Absorber Ingestion in Dogs

Treatment depends on the vet’s diagnosis. If your dog has been diagnosed with GI upset and dehydration, the vet may use medications to ease your canine companion’s vomiting and diarrhea. They may also give your dog medicine to relieve irritation of the digestive tract. And if your fur baby is dehydrated, the vet may give him an IV with fluids to rehydrate your furry companion.

On the other hand, if your dog has been diagnosed with intestinal obstruction, the vet may order x-rays. The images help the vet find where the oxygen-absorbing packets are located. After this, your fur baby may need surgery to remove the packets safely. The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise.

The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment after ingesting Ageless Oxygen Absorbers. In the future, it’s best to keep these and other packets out of your dog’s reach. You may want to consider investing in a dog-proof waste basket to ensure your fur baby stays out of the trash. You’ll both be happier for it!

My Dog Ate Ageless Oxygen Absorber

(Visited 249 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading