My Dog Ate Adaptil Collar What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 03/14/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Adaptil Collar

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

There are many products on the market today that help calm dogs who have separation anxiety and other issues. One such product is the Adaptil collar. These collars can be quite effective, but what happens if a dogs eats an Adaptil collar? Can the collar make a dog sick?

Has your dog eaten an Adaptil collar? Are you worried the Adaptil collar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Adaptil collars and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is an Adaptil Collar?

An Adaptil collar is a plastic collar that’s infused with a calming pheromone for dogs. The collar is activated by a dog’s body heat, which causes the pheromone to be released.

When dogs are wearing the collar, they feel calmer and may not react to stressful situations. For instance, the dog may not react to thunderstorms, separation anxiety, and more.

The Adaptil collar’s main ingredient is canine appeasing pheromone analog 5%.

While the Adaptil collar is safe for dogs (when used as directed), what happens if a dog eats the collar?

Adaptil Collar & Dogs

Thankfully the canine appeasing pheromone analog 5% is non-toxic to dogs. The main concern is the plastic the collar is made of.

If a dog eats the plastic collar, it’s possible the piece the dog has eaten could become lodged somewhere in his digestive tract and cause an intestinal obstruction. This is a condition that can be life-threatening if not treated right away.

Symptoms of Intestinal Obstruction in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an Adaptil collar:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Adaptil Collar Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may first make sure your dog is not choking. If not, they may order x-rays to determine where the piece of the collar is located in your dog’s digestive tract.

In some cases, the collar piece may be caught in the dog’s stomach. The vet may be able to remove the collar piece through an endoscopic procedure.

On the other hand, if the collar piece is caught in the dog’s intestines, the vet may need to perform emergency surgery. The surgery is done to remove the collar piece safely and to repair any damage it may have done.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt treatment after eating an Adaptil collar. In the future, it’s best to avoid the use of such collars if your dog has a tendency to chew or eat them. You’ll both be happier for it!

And if your fur baby suffers from anxiety and stress, the vet may be able to suggest an alternative treatment that will be just as effective as the Adaptil collar.

(Visited 120 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading