My Dog Ate Acetone What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 12/11/20 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Do you have fun doing your nails? If so, do you use a polish remover that contains acetone? Then you may want to read on. While acetone is a common chemical used in nail polish remover and even in paint strippers. It’s also a chemical that can be dangerous if ingested by dogs.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Acetone is Harmful to Dogs

Acetone is a chemical that can be harmful to dogs. For instance, it can burn the skin, mucus membranes, and even in the digestive tract. And the fumes can also be harmful to a dog’s airways.

While acetone is a natural substance, if ingested in large amounts, it can make a dog very sick.

My Dog Ingested Acetone, What should I Do?

Your initial reaction may be to panic; however, that’s not what you need to do. Instead, take a deep breath and then follow the steps below to help your dog. Remember, your dog is completely dependent on you for his wellbeing. He needs you to be in charge and calm in order to make sure he receives the car he may need.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Note: never induce vomiting, unless directed to do so by your vet.

OK, now try to determine how much acetone your dog may have ingested. If he only licked the lid of the nail polish remover container, chances are he will be just fine. If he’s eaten a cotton ball that contained acetone, chances are he will be just fine. That’s because acetone quickly evaporates. So, if the cotton ball was mostly dry, then your fur baby will be OK.

On the other hand, if your dog ate a cotton ball that was wet and filled with acetone, then you need to take action. You’ll need to monitor your canine companion for any signs that the chemical is making him sick.

Symptoms of Acetone Poisoning in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested a large amount of acetone:

If your dog is exhibiting these symptoms, then call the vet immediately.

How is Acetone Poisoning Treated in Dogs?

Acetone poisoning in dogs usually results in digestive tract irritation, but can also result in kidney and liver damage. For these reasons, then you get to the vet’s, they will do a complete physical exam of your dog. They will also order lab work to see how your dog’s organs are functioning and look for signs of trouble.

Treatment may include gastric lavage to wash the chemical from your dog’s digestive tract. In addition, the vet may provide your dog with oxygen support, and put him on a low-fat diet for a time. Your dog will also receive any other supportive treatments to help relieve any other symptoms he may have.

With prompt medical treatment, most dogs have an excellent prognosis. They will go on to live happy, healthy lives after they recover from acetone poisoning.

(Visited 3,161 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading