My Dog Ate a Twix Bar Will He Get Sick?
Do you enjoy a Twix bar every now and then? If so, you’re not alone! They’re a popular candy bar all around the world! Does your dog beg for you to share a bite of the bar with him, too?
What is in a Twix Bar?
Twix bars a wonderful crisp cookie that’s covered by caramel, then covered with a topping of chocolate. You can enjoy the yummy crunch of the cookie inside, along with the warm, rich caramel and then the chocolate coating.
They’re a great treat and a once in a while snack for us, but not for our dogs. The reason is because of the candy bar’s high amount of sugar and the chocolate coating.Check Price on Amazon
Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs
Most of us don’t think anything of enjoying a piece of chocolate now and again. However, chocolate is not good for dogs. The reason is that chocolate contains a substance called theobromine that can make dogs extremely sick. Another ingredient in chocolate is caffeine, which can also make dogs very ill.
Theobromine and caffeine work as diuretics, heart stimulants, blood vessel dilators, and smooth muscle relaxants. Dogs are not able to metabolize theobromine or caffeine, which causes the toxic reaction.
Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog is suffering from chocolate toxicity:
- Increased thirst
- Excessive urination
- Racing heart rate
- Muscle tremors
- Heart failure
If your dog is suffering from these symptoms, be sure to call the vet right away. Be aware that it can take up to several hours before the symptoms appear.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
Treatment will depend on the amount of Twix bar(s) your dog has eaten. If your dog has recently eaten the chocolate, it may be possible for the vet to remove the candy from your dog’s stomach by giving him medicine to induce vomiting, and may also give your dog activated charcoal. This works to block absorption of the theobromine into the body.
Your dog may also require supportive care such as IV fluids and may need to stay in the hospital for observation. The vet will closely monitor your dog for any symptoms previously mentioned.
As you can see, sharing a Twix bar, even a small amount, can make your dog very sick. It’s best to avoid sharing these candies, or other types of chocolate sweets with your dog. Instead, opt for sharing healthy treats that are safe for dogs such as apples, oranges, or even homemade treats. Your dog will thank you for these!