My Dog Ate a Tootsie Roll or Pop Will He Get Sick?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 03/21/24 •  4 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Tootsie Rolls and Pops are candies enjoyed around the world! Who could avoid eating something that’s something like taffy with a chocolate flavoring? But what about sharing these with your dog?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is in Tootsie Rolls?

Tootsie Rolls are a bit like taffy, and they have a cocoa taste. These long-lasting, chewy candies are chocolatey goodness. They were first developed by Leo Hirshfield, who owned a small candy shop in New York City. He first began making these candies back in 1907, and they’ve been popular ever since.

Tootsie Rolls contain sugar and chocolate, both of which taste great together. However, these can be bad for dogs.

Sugar & Chocolate: A Bad Combination for Dogs

Sugar, on its own, is bad for dogs. This is because too much sugar can lead to tooth decay, weight gain, obesity and even diabetes. When a dog has too much sugar, they may experience times of hyperactivity when they have a sugar high, and then they have a low, when the sugar high crashes down. Dogs may also experience agitation, blood shot eyes, urinary tract/kidney infection, and more.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Then there’s chocolate. Chocolate is a known toxin to dogs. This is because it contains two substances that dogs are not able to metabolize: theobromine and caffeine. Even small amounts of chocolate can be very bad for your dog due to these ingredients. While it may seem that Tootsie Rolls don’t contain a large amount of chocolate, they do have enough to make your dog very sick.

It’s important to note that different types of chocolate don’t have the same amount of theobromine in them—it varies. For example, dark chocolate has more theobromine that milk chocolate.

Not only that, but your dog’s weight and the amount and type of chocolate he’s eaten will determine how toxic the chocolate will be for him.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten chocolate:

If you notice these symptoms, then call your vet immediately—this is a life-threatening medical emergency. With fast treatment, most dogs will make a full and complete recovery.

Tootsie Roll Wrappers Can Be Dangerous

Another potential danger are the Tootsie Roll wrappers. Tootsie Rolls are wrapped in a waxy paper that is non-toxic. If a dog eats one or two wrappers, he should be OK. But what happens if your dog eats several candy wrappers?

The problem here depends on your dog’s size. If a large dog, such as a German Shepherd, eats several Tootsie Roll candy wrappers, chances are he will be OK. However, if a smaller dog, such as a Yorkshire Terrier, eats that same number of candy wrappers, he could become very sick. In this case, the candy wrappers could cause intestinal obstruction. This is a serious condition that can be life-threatening.

If a larger dog eats an entire package of candy wrappers, he could also develop this serious condition.

Symptoms of Intestinal Obstruction in Dogs

Your dog could show the following symptoms after eating Tootsie Roll candy wrappers:

If your dog shows these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening emergency.

How to Keep Your Dog from Eating Tootsie Rolls

Prevention is always the best way to keep your dog happy and healthy! Here are some steps you can take to keep your dog from eating Tootsie Rolls and candy wrappers:

As you can see, chocolate and sugar, even in Tootsie Rolls and their candy wrappers, are not safe to give your dog. And if your dog accidentally eats a Tootsie Roll, then it’s extremely important to seek treatment right away.

(Visited 7,022 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading