My Dog Ate a Tea Bag What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 08/10/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Many pet parents have tea, made with tea bags, every day. Who doesn’t enjoy a great cup of tea? But what happens if your dog happens to eat a tea bag?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

It can happen that a dog may eat a tea bag. This may be because a tea bag happened to drop on the floor and the dog got to it before his pet parent. In that case, many dogs swallow their treasure, rather than giving it over to their pet parent.

Or maybe you were enjoying a refreshing cup of tea, and the phone rang. You had to jump up for the phone, leaving your tea unattended. Sometimes a dog may be curious about what his pet parent is eating or drinking. Whatever their pet parent has must be pretty good, so the dog may try it, too. He may then swallow or eat the tea bag. When you come back from your phone call, the tea bag is no where to be found, and your dog may have a sheepish look. Then it’s clear he’s swallowed the tea bag down.

These are just a couple of scenarios where a dog could have access to tea or tea bags. But is there anything to worry about?

Caffeine & Dogs Don’t Mix

If you were enjoying a cup of regular tea, then it probably contained caffeine. Caffeine is poisonous to dogs. In this case, you’ll need to call the vet as soon as possible. Let the vet know the size of the tea bag and then tell them about any symptoms your fur baby may be having. Also be sure to let the vet know what type of tea was in the tea bag.

The caffeine in tea can cause your dog to develop the following symptoms:

Other Health Issues from Swallowing a Tea Bag

There are many other types of tea, some of which can be dangerous for your canine companion. These include chamomile and peppermint teas. These are also toxic to dogs.

No matter what type of tea was in the tea bag, one other problem to be concerned about is that the tea bag could cause an intestinal blockage in a dog.

If you suspect your fur baby has swallowed a tea bag, then call the vet right away. Do not induce vomiting, unless directed to do so by the vet.

In most cases, with prompt treatment, your fur baby should be OK. But you’ll need to make sure not to leave tea or tea bags where your dog can access them in the future, especially if he has a habit of trying to eat tea bags!

(Visited 6,633 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading