My Dog Ate a Snake What Should I Do?
Dogs are sometimes attracted to things that move around on the ground, especially snakes. Your fur baby may have noticed a snake that’s slithering along, minding its own business. But your dog’s curiosity may drive him to try to catch the snake. If he’s successful, your dog may even kill and eat the snake. Yuck!
The danger here is if you’re not sure what type of snake your dog just ate, and whether the snake was venomous, poisonous, or not. And you may not notice if the snake bit your dog before it died.
Garter & Other Harmless SnakesCheck Price on Amazon
There are plenty of snakes that are not poisonous or venomous. In the U.S., you may be familiar with garter snakes. They’re found all over the country and may even be in your own backyard!
If a dog eats a garter or other non-poisonous or non-venomous snake, chances are he’ll be OK. He may develop some gastrointestinal problems, but he will be OK.
Dog Ate Poisonous or Venomous Snake
Doing the research for this article, we didn’t come up with much information on what could happen if a dog ate a venomous or poisonous snake. However, we did find plenty of information on what happens if the snake manages to bite your dog.
If your fur baby eats a snake that you know for sure is poisonous, then be sure to call your vet immediately. They will have the right advice on how to proceed.
Snake Bite & Your DogCheck Price on Amazon
If your fur baby was bitten venomous snake, this is a problem. Your dog may show the following symptom after being bitten:
- Severe swelling at the site of the bite
- Excessive panting
- Possibly death
The swelling from the bite will begin almost immediately and the venom will begin to work quickly. At this point, your dog will need to see the vet as quickly as possible. This is a medical emergency.
If possible, take a picture of the snake (or a part of the animal that’s left), and then show this to the vet. It may help them identify the type of snake that bit your dog. This is important, as the anti-venom treatment will be determined by the type of snake.
The prognosis is very good if a dog receives fast treatment after the bite. Fast treatment is the key, and knowing the type of snake that bit your fur baby.
If in doubt about what to do after your fur baby has eaten a snake (or even part of one), be sure to call the vet immediately. They’ll be able to tell you exactly what to do to help your canine companion.