My Dog Ate a Pushpin What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 06/24/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Has your dog swallowed a pushpin? Are you worried the pushpin can make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at what pushpins are and whether or not they’re dangerous to your dog. Let’s get started!

What is a Pushpin?

A pushpin is a short pin that has a rounded plastic head on top. These are typically used on walls, bulletin boards, and more. The pushpin may be used to attach paper, photos, and more to these surfaces for reviewing later, or the items could be used as part of a room’s décor.

But is a pushpin dangerous if ingested? If your dog eats a pushpin, will it make him sick?

Pushpins & Dogs

Pushpins are dangerous if swallowed. The problem is the sharp point of the pin, which can puncture the esophagus, the stomach lining, or other parts of the digestive tract. This can be a very serious medical condition.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What to Do if Your Dog Has Ingested a Pushpin

In larger dogs, there’s a chance one pushpin can pass through the dog’s digestive tract with no problems. It will eventually come out in the dog’s poop. However, for smaller dogs, there’s an increased risk of punctures because of their smaller size.

So, if your dog has swallowed a pushpin, call the vet immediately. The vet will be able to give you advice on what needs to happen next. If your dog is larger, then the vet may advise you to wait and monitor your dog. For smaller dogs, the vet may ask you to bring the dog in to be checked.

Symptoms of a Dog Ingesting a Pushpin

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has swallowed a pushpin:

If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.

Treatment for Dog Eating a Pushpin

Treatment will depend on where the pushpin is located, as well as your dog’s symptoms. The vet may want to take x-rays to see where the pushpin is located. This will help determine the best treatment for your dog.

If the pushpin is still in the stomach, the vet may be able to remove it by using an endoscopic procedure. However, if the pushpin is already in the intestines, then your fur baby may need emergency surgery to remove the pin.

The good news is that with prompt medical treatment, your fur baby has an excellent chance of making a full recovery. The key is to get him treatment as soon as possible.

(Visited 2,932 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]