My Dog Ate A Pine Cone Will He Get Sick?
Does your dog enjoy batting pine cones around the yard? Does he ever chew on pinecones? Has your fur baby just swallowed a small pinecone? Then you’ve come to the right place!
This is a common problem for pet parents who live in areas that have pinecones. The cones are so interesting for dogs, and also make great playthings! However, they could present a health issue for your dog.
Quick Facts About Pine ConesCheck Price on Amazon
Did you know that all conifer trees (also called pine trees) produce cones? These types of trees and their cones date all the way to prehistoric times, dating back some 300 million years. They’ve been around for a very long time! And scientists have found that duck-billed dinosaurs found pinecones extremely delicious!
Conifer trees product pine cones as a way to keep their seeds safe. In fact, the cones protect the seeds from cold temperatures and make it difficult for animals to eat the seeds. When the weather gets warm, the pine cones open up to release their seeds. And some pinecones even require a fire to open and release the seeds.
Pine Cones & Dogs
Many dogs enjoy playing with pinecones out in the yard or when on a walk. The cones, if large enough, are fun to bat around and chase. They’ve also got an interesting texture that some dogs may find interesting. If dogs only play around and carry the cones, then there’s not much to worry about. On the other hand, if dogs and puppies like to chew pine cones, this could be a problem.
There are several issues that make chewing pine cones dangerous for dogs. These include:
- Fibers of the pine cone can break off and cause a choking hazard
- Large pieces of pinecone can become lodged in the intestines, causing an intestinal blockage
- Pine sap and needles carry substances that can cause allergic reactions in some dogs
- Pinecones may be covered with fertilizers or pesticides, which are toxic to dogs
Symptoms of Pine Cone Poisoning in Dogs
Your canine companion may exhibit these symptoms if he’s eaten a pinecone:
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst or urination
In cases of an allergic reaction, your dog may show these symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing
- Throat swelling
- Trouble walking
If your fur baby is showing any of these signs and symptoms, then please call the vet immediately. These are signs of a life-threatening medical emergency. Your dog needs treatment as soon as possible—fast treatment could save his life.
When a dog swallows a small bit of pinecone, chances are he will be just fine. Just watch for any signs that he’s not feeling good, and then call the vet.
It’s best to not let your dog or puppy play with pinecones, just to be on the safe side! Instead, clean up the pinecones and give your fur baby some toys meant for dogs!