Most of us have pencils at home, even in this digital age of the stylus. Kids need them for homework, and pencils are still a great choice for DIY projects! However, if you have a dog, it’s possible he could find a pencil and decide to chew it or even eat it! But can a pencil make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten a pencil? Are you worried the pencil will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about pencils and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Pencil?
A pencil is an instrument used for writing and drawing. It’s a very common implement in most homes. Students use pencils, and many people use pencils for various projects, including DIY projects at home.
Pencils are usually made of wood with a “lead” core that makes marks when using the pencil. In the past, pencil lead was really made from this material. However, today, pencil lead is made of graphite, which is non-toxic.
While pencils are safe for humans to use, what happens if a dog eats a pencil?
Pencils & Dogs
The good news is that pencils are not toxic to dogs. The graphite contained with the pencil (the “lead” part) is non-toxic. And the wood is usually not toxic.
However, when a dog chews and eats a pencil, he may create sharp splinters of wood. These splinters can cause injuries to the dog’s mouth and throat. They can also become lodged in the dog’s digestive system or cause punctures and tears. This can lead to serious infections that could be deadly.
What to Do If Your Dog’s Eaten a Pencil
The first thing is to remain calm. Next, check to see how much of the pencil your dog has eaten. Is he choking or showing any signs of injury in his mouth? If so, contact the vet right away.
If your dog’s not showing symptoms, we recommend calling your vet as soon as possible. They can provide you with the correct information on how to help your dog. In some cases, the vet may want to see your dog right away.
One more note—never induce vomiting. This is because the sharp wood splinters could cause serious damage to your dog’s esophagus as they come back out.
Always keep pencils and other writing instruments (such as pens, crayons, markers) and more out of your dog’s reach. These implements are sometimes attractive to dogs who love to chew. Be sure to provide your fur baby with safe chew toys and treats made for dogs. Prevention is always the best medicine!