My Dog Ate a Lighter What Should I Do?
Has your dog ingested a lighter or chewed on the lighter and swallowed lighter fluid? Then you’ve come to the right place.
If this is the case, the please call the vet right now. This is a medical emergency.
If you’re only reading this article out of curiosity or believe your fur baby may one day try to eat a lighter, then read on.
Petroleum Products are Toxic to DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Petroleum products are extremely toxic to dogs, to say nothing of the plastic lighter case. The substances that are dangerous are called hydrocarbons. These are toxic to both dogs and their pet parents.
Lighters and lighter fluid are commonly found in many households. Sometimes lighters may be left in a place your fur baby can reach. In fact, your pup doesn’t even have to eat these substances. Instead, he can even suffer toxic symptoms with skin contact or your dog licking his fur after the fluid spills on him.
Lighter & Lighter Fluid Symptoms in Dogs
Your fur baby may show the following signs and symptoms if he’s eaten a lighter and/or lighter fluid:
- Clamping of his jaws
- Skin irritation
- Oral irritation
- Loss of appetite
- General weakness
- Dry feces
- Oil in the feces
- Vision issues
- Head tremors
- Shivering and/or excitability/nervousness
- Lack of coordination (he may look like he’s drunk when walking)
- Breathing issues
Chances are you may not know exactly how much lighter fluid your dog has ingested. However, you may be able to tell how much of the lighter he may be swallowed by checking to see how much lighter is left.
If you believe your pup has swallowed the light and/or lighter fluid, the call your vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.
Your vet will run tests to check your dog for organ issues including his intestines, lungs, liver and kidneys. He may need to draw fluid samples from these areas, in addition to running blood tests. He may also want to do an x-ray to see where the lighter pieces are.Check Price on Amazon
Treatment of Lighter & Lighter Fluid Ingestion in Dogs
Your vet probably will not choose to induce vomiting, as lighter fluid can be easily aspirated. However, the vet may choose to give your fur baby activated charcoal and then treat your dog’s symptoms as they develop. They may give supplemental oxygen, IV fluids and medications such as antibiotics.
If your fur baby has eaten a large portion of the lighter, and/or if the pieces are sharp, the vet may need to perform surgery to extract these pieces. They could puncture your pup’s digestive track or cause a intestinal blockage.
We hope your fur baby has not eaten a lighter or swallowed lighter fluid. But if he has, please call the vet immediately. We wish you both very well!