My Dog Ate a Kebab Stick What Should I Do?

By Julie •  Updated: 08/09/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Dogs love to snack and have been known for eating just about anything! You may set some compelling tidbit down, and then your dog jumps quick and snarfs it down! Sometimes there’s not even a chance to holler “No!” before your dog swallows down his yummy treat! But what happens if a dog eats a kebab stick?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten a kebab stick? Are you worried the kebab stick will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

In this article, we’ll take a look at kebab sticks and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is a Kebab Stick?

A kebab stick (also called a skewer) is a thin piece of wood or metal, which is used to hold food and cook it. The food may be grilled or roasted, depending on the type of ingredients. For instance, meat and vegetables are commonly put onto kebab sticks to be cooked together.

Kebab sticks are used in a wide variety of cuisines. Did you know they’ve even been around for hundreds of thousands of years? The first evidence of skewers used to cook food was found in Schoningen, Germany at a site that was determined to be 300,000 years old!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

While kebab sticks have been popular for a very long time, what happens if a dog swallows one of these cooking utensils?

Kebab Sticks & Dogs

Kebab sticks are not safe for dogs. This is because the skewers usually have at least one sharp end that can cause damage to the dog’s mouth or digestive tract. What’s more, if the dog chews the kebab stick, it’s possible small slivers of wood could break off. These could also become lodged in the mouth, in the esophagus, or in the digestive tract.

Dogs who have swallowed skewers have been known to choke on the wood, suffer from tears and wounds in the mouth and esophagus. The skewers have even punctured the stomach or the intestines.

One more worry is that the parts of the kebab stick could even create an intestinal blockage in the dog’s intestines. This is a very dangerous condition that can lead to death if left untreated.

Symptoms of Kebab Stick Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has swallowed a kebab stick:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Your dog needs to be evaluated and treated by a vet as soon as possible. Doing so may just save your dog’s life!

(Visited 1,914 times, 1 visits today)

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]