My Dog Ate a Juul Pod What Should I Do?
E-cigarettes have become extremely popular in recent years. They’re often used as a replacement for regular cigarettes and are found in many homes. However, e-cigarettes have become one of the leading causes for dog poisonings.
The Problem: Juul PodsCheck Price on Amazon
The problem with e-cigarettes and dog poisonings is what is referred to as the Juul pod. The Juul pod is a device that delivers nicotine to the smoker. It works to mimic the smoking experience by providing the smoker with nicotine.
Juul pods include two parts: the bottom, which includes a battery and temperature regulation system, and the top part, which contains the e-liquid cartridge and nicotine. The pods also contain other chemicals which can include glycerol, propylene glycol, benzoic acid and flavorings.
The nicotine and other chemicals can lead to poisoning. Even just 24 mg of nicotine is enough to lead to death in a dog. Poisoning can occur within 15 minutes to an hour after the chemicals have been swallowed.
Symptoms of Nicotine Poisoning in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Your dog may show some of the following symptoms after swallowing nicotine from a Juul pod:
- Excessive drooling
- Abdominal pain
- Agitation or restlessness
- Increased heart rate/erratic heartbeat
- Increased blood pressure
- Cardiac arrest
If you know for sure or suspect that your dog has swallowed the liquid from a Juul pod, call the vet immediately. These chemicals can work fast to cause poisoning and your dog needs prompt treatment to save his life.
When it comes to treatment, there is no antidote for this type of poisoning in dogs. The vet will immediately begin to provide supportive care to your dog in an effort to stabilize his condition and reduce the effects of the nicotine and other chemicals.
Treatment may include inducing vomiting, then the vet may give your fur baby activated charcoal to stop or reduce further absorption of the poisons. Your dog may also be put onto an IV in an effort to re-hydrate him and stimulate the kidneys to remove the toxins. The vet may also choose to treat your dog with supplemental oxygen.
If you can get your dog to the vet as soon as possible, there’s a high probability your dog will survive ingesting the nicotine and other chemicals from the Juul pod. However, keeping e-cigarettes and Juul pods out of your dog’s reach is the best way to keep him safe from nicotine poisoning.