My Dog Ate a Junior Mint Will He Get Sick?

By Kim •  Updated: 10/02/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Junior Mints are a favorite treat many pet parents. Who doesn’t love the cool peppermint inside and the dark chocolate outside? It’s a refreshing treat that’s hard to stop eating once you open the box!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

When you enjoy Junior Mints, does your dog beg for some, too? It’s common for dogs to want what their favorite people have. However, not all treats or foods are healthy for dogs. What happens if your dog eats a Junior Mint?

Can Dogs Have Peppermint?

Peppermint isn’t really toxic to dogs; however, it can cause them to have an upset stomach. They can even develop diarrhea and vomiting. So, it’s better to keep peppermint away from your canine companion.

What About the Chocolate Covering on Junior Mints?

Chocolate is a toxin for dogs. It doesn’t cause a fatal reaction; however, it can cause some digestive problems. The ingredients in chocolate that is poisonous to dogs is theobromine and caffeine. Both of these ingredients are stimulants to the heart, a blood vessel dilator, a smooth muscle relaxant, and a diuretic.

Can Dogs Have Junior Mints?

No, it’s not a good idea. The ingredients are harmful to dogs, especially if your fur baby helps himself to several pieces. He may vomit, have diarrhea, and nausea. These are not pleasant for your dog. He could also develop some issues from the chocolate coating on the Junior Mints.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Junior Mint

If you find that your dog has had a box or more of Junior Mints, then it’s a good idea to call the vet. The vet will have the best advice on next steps. They may ask you bring the dog in for an exam, just to be on the safe side. That’s normal and it’s good to get your canine companion checked out. You want to make sure he’s OK.

If your dog eats just one Junior Mint, then more than likely he’ll be OK. You may want to monitor him for the next few hours and see if he develops any symptoms (mentioned above).

When you have some Junior Mints, it might be helpful to have a healthy snack that your dog can enjoy at the same time. While he may not be completely satisfied (he’s not having what you’re eating!), chances are he’ll still enjoy his healthy doggie snack. Then you’ll both have snacks to enjoy together!

 

(Visited 2,856 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading