My Dog Ate a Juice Box Will He Get Sick?

By Julie •  Updated: 10/01/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dogs love to eat things they shouldn’t! If you’ve been a pet parent long enough, you know how curious dogs can be! And if you happen to leave food around, or drop a food item on the floor, then some dogs snarf it up so fast you don’t have time to grab it.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many times, dogs and puppies eat things that are harmful to them. Their intent may not have been to eat the object that drew their attention. It may be that were exploring the object and tried to figure out what it was. But what happens if a dog swallows a juice box?

Are Juice Boxes Dangerous For Dogs?

Juice boxes are a liquid and so require special packaging. Most juice boxes are made of what’s called liquid packaging board, which is a type of cardboard. This usually has about 6 layers of paper, and also polyethylene and aluminum foil.

These materials are meant to keep the contents fresh, and oxygen from reaching the juice. They also work to ensure the liquid is sealed tightly inside.

If your dog swallows a juice box, then the best thing is to call the vet right away. They will have the best advice on next steps. There are some things that can go wrong when a dog eats something they shouldn’t.

Intestinal Blockage

Objects may pass through your dog’s esophagus and down to his stomach with no problem. However, sometimes an item, such as a juice box may not break down. It may be too large to pass through the intestines and become lodged there. This creates an intestinal blockage, which can be a life-threatening emergency if not treated quickly.

Symptoms of an Intestinal Blockage

These are some of the symptoms a dog can experience if they develop this issue:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after he swallows a juice box, then call the vet immediately.

The vet will do x-rays, lab work, and give your dog an exam. The x-rays will show where the juice box is lodged. Depending on the location, the vet may need to perform emergency surgery to remove the juice box.

The prognosis for dogs who develop an intestinal blockage is good, if they receive medical help as soon as possible after symptoms show up.

To avoid these types of issues, it’s best to keep juice boxes and other harmful objects where your dog can’t reach them.

(Visited 422 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading