My Dog Ate a Jade Plant Leaf What Should I Do?
Do you have a jade plant in your home? Many of us do, as these are hardy house plants! Even if you don’t have a green thumb, you may be able to grow these lovely plants!
But what happens if your dog eats a jade plant leaf? Are jade plants poisonous to dogs?
What is a Jade Plant?
Just in case you’re not familiar with jade plants, we’ll do a quick review. The jade plant’s official name is Crassula ovata, and this is a succulent houseplant. The plant’s leaves are thick and oval-shaped, and the stems are slightly woody. The plants grow slowly and may eventually reach a height of 3-6 inches.
They’re very common as houseplants as they’re easy to grow. Even if you forget to water them, the plant can live for a while because they store water in their leaves.
For some reason, dogs seem to like the taste of jade plant leaves; however, these plants do contain a toxin that can be serious medical problems.
Symptoms of Jade Plant Toxin in Dogs
If your dog has eaten a jade plant leaf, or has had several, then you’ll want to watch for these symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Slow heart rate
- Impaired muscle movement
The last three symptoms are not as common, but it’s still good to know what to watch for. The problem is no one is quite sure what substances in the jade leaves are poisonous. But jade plant leaves are known to be toxic.
In most cases, jade plant poisoning in dogs is mild; however, in rare instances the leaves can cause a more serious medical issue.
If you know your fur baby has eaten one or more jade leaves, then be sure to call the vet. They’ll provide advise on next steps. They may ask that you bring your dog in to be checked, even if he has no symptoms.
The vet will do a physical exam, and may also take urine and stool samples, run some bloodwork, and more. Your fur baby may need an endoscopic procedure, which the vet uses to check the dog’s throat and airways for inflammation and airway blockage. The vet may also run some x-rays to check or any inflammation or blockages in the intestines.
Treatment will depend on the vet’s findings, but the vet may choose to induce vomiting. This helps clear the toxin from your dog’s system and activated charcoal may also be given to absorb any remaining poison.
The vet may follow this with a complete flushing of your dog’s digestive system, too. And if needed, your fur baby may also need to be treated with IV fluids for dehydration.
The good news is that with prompt treatment, your canine companion has an excellent prognosis for a happy, healthy life!
If your fur baby likes to munch on jade plant leaves, then it’s a good idea to place plants in rooms that your dog can’t access. The other option is to avoid having these plants in the first place, since they are toxic to dogs.