My Dog Ate a Hair Tie What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 09/04/20 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Does your dog make a toy of almost anything and everything? Does he love to play with things that aren’t really toys? This is a common thing for many dogs to do! Remember those old socks you knotted up and gave him to play with? Or your favorite shoes he was throwing around and chewing on?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Dogs love to play with many things around the house, especially something that’s stretchy, smells like you, and if fun to flip around! However, hair ties can be dangerous if swallowed.

However, sometimes the hair tie will cause no problems, and will pass right through the dog’s digestive tract. But occasionally the hair tie can become a health problem.

The Problem with Hair Ties

While hair ties may be fun for your fur baby to play with, they can be extremely dangerous if swallowed. The problem is that hair ties can become lodged in the intestines and cause a blockage. In some cases, dogs have been known to eat more than one hair tie before a problem developed.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

In other cases, a hair tie can even become lodged in the throat and cause choking. This is another serious issue that could quickly lead to a medical emergency.

All it takes is one hair tie to case a life-threatening medical emergency.

What to Do If Your Dog’s Swallowed a Hair Tie

The first thing is to remain calm and check your dog. Make sure he’s not choking and is breathing normally. Next, try to determine if your fur baby has eaten more than one hair tie. Then call the vet right away. They will give you advice on what to do next.

Symptoms of an Intestinal Blockage

If your dog is breathing normally and not chocking, the vet may ask you to wait a couple of days to see if the hair tie passes through and comes out in your dog’s poop. The vet will also ask you to watch for symptoms of a bowel obstruction, which can include:

At the first sign your dog may be experiencing a bowel obstruction, you’ll need to call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency. In most cases, your dog may need surgery to remove the hair tie.

The good news is that in most cases, with prompt treatment, your dog will go on to live a very happy and healthy life once he recovers!

(Visited 7,465 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading