My Dog Ate A Green Grape What Should I Do?
There’s nothing better than a bowl of chilled grapes on a hot summer day! They offer a refreshing bit of cool, along with their tangy, sweet flavor. Grapes are also popular in certain recipes, such as salads. They’re a very versatile fruit! But what happens if a dog eats a grape?
Has your dog eaten a grape? Are you worried the grape could make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about grapes and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Green Grapes?
Grapes are fruit that grows on woody vines. If you live near or have visited wine country, you’ve seen the rows upon rows of grapes there! Grapes can be eaten fresh, though they’re also very popular to use in jam, wine, grape juice, jelly, grape seed extract, vinegar, dried as raisins, currants, and sultanas.
This fruit is also very healthy and contains:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin A
Grapes also grow across wide regions of the world, from North & South America, to parts of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
While grapes can be a healthy snack for humans, what about dogs? Can grapes make a dog sick?
Green Grapes & Dogs
Unfortunately, grapes are toxic to dogs. And it doesn’t matter whether the grapes are of a certain kind, what color they are, or if they contain seeds or not. Even homegrown and organic grapes are toxic to dogs. In addition, any food that includes grapes or grape juice is toxic. We must also mention that raisins (dried grapes), currants, and sultanas are all toxic to dogs.
For many years, vets were not able to find out what substance in grapes was toxic to dogs. However, they have recently learned that it’s the tartaric acid in grapes that’s the problem.
Even one grape can make a dog sick. That’s probably not enough to poison a dog; however, it depends on the dog’s size and weight. A smaller dog may have a worse reaction to eating one grape than a much larger dog, such as a St. Bernard.
In addition, not all dogs react the same way to the toxin. Some become seriously ill, while other dogs hardly seem affected.
Symptoms of Green Grape Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten one or more grapes:
- Excessive thirst
- Kidney damage or failure
- Abdominal pain
- Changes in urination
If your dog has eaten just one grape, we highly recommend calling the vet right away. And if your dog presents with these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Even one grape could be enough to poison or kill a dog. So, be sure to call the vet right away.
Treatment of Green Grape Toxicity in Dogs
The treatment of grape toxicity in dogs depends on the symptoms. The goal is to decontaminate the dog’s system and treat other symptoms as they arise.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. So, be sure to keep grapes and all foods containing grapes out of your dog’s reach. This wonderful fruit can make a dog very sick or even cause death. We always say prevention is the best medicine!