Has your dog eaten a burrito? Are you worried the burrito will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together some information about burritos, their ingredients, and whether or not a burrito can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Burrito?
Burritos are a type of Mexican dish that’s exceptional, especially to those who love Mexican food! The burrito is made with a flour tortilla covering, which wraps inside some amazing filling. The filling usually includes beans, jalapenos, spices, cheese, meat, and more.
This is a food that’s usually eaten by hand but can also be eaten with a knife and fork. The flour wrap on the outside may also be covered by a sauce; it depends on the specific recipe used.
While humans love burritos, are they safe for dogs?
Burritos and Dogs
Burritos are not really good for your dog. This is because the filling and any sauce on the burrito may include ingredients that are toxic or otherwise harmful for dogs. The most harmful ingredients used in a burrito include:
- Jalapenos: these are very spicy and can cause stomach upset
- Onions: are toxic to dogs
- Garlic: are toxic to dogs
- Cheese: contains a high amount of fat, which can lead to pancreatitis
- Chili pepper: is very spicy and can be toxic to dogs
Other ingredients that may be included in a burrito can also make a dog sick. For instance, sour cream is bad for dogs who have a dairy intolerance or dairy allergy. Guacamole is high in fat, which can lead to pancreatitis in dogs.
Lastly, we need to say that if your dog has one very small piece of a burrito, he will be OK. One very small bite will not hurt your dog. At the most, he may have a little vomiting or diarrhea. However, there are some symptoms to be aware of and watch for in case your dog eats more of a burrito.
Symptoms in Dogs After Eating a Burrito
Your dog may show these symptoms after eating a large portion (or an entire) burrito:
- Abdominal pain
- Excessive salivation
If your dog shows any of these symptoms, or you’re worried about your dog, then be sure to call the vet. Let the vet know what your dog has eaten, as well as about how much of the burrito your fur baby ate.
In the future, to avoid your dog getting sick, be sure to keep burritos and other spicy dishes out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both feel much better by taking preventive measures!