My Dog Ate A Bug Will He Get Sick?
Has your dog eaten a bug? Are you worried the bug will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the habit of dogs eating bugs and whether or not eating bugs can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
Dogs Eating Bugs
Some dogs love to hunt down bugs crawling on the floor or the wall. Then there are other dogs who try to do their best to bite flies out of midair! Does your dog love to hunt bugs? If so, then he’s like most dogs.Check Price on Amazon
While many dogs love to hunt bugs, some of them also like to enjoy a crunchy bug snack from time to time. Whether it’s snatching a fly out of the air, eating a worm squiggling on the ground, or eating a yummy grasshopper, some dogs seem to love nothing better than a buggy snack. Yuck!
Thankfully, most bugs are safe for dogs to eat. While that’s true, some bugs are known to be toxic for dogs or even carry parasites.
Too Many Bugs
It’s possible for a dog to eat too many bugs and get sick. The problem is due to the exoskeleton of the bugs. Not only can the bugs make the dog become nauseated, but their shells can also cause an intestinal blockage.
Other Bug Problems
Then there are other bugs that can cause a chemical burn. These include the Asian ladybug, which is beetles. These insects can cause a chemical burn in the dog’s mouth and digestive tract.
In addition, some caterpillars can sting; others carry toxins that can harm a dog. The Monarch caterpillar, for instance, feeds on milkweed. Milkweed contains poisons that contain a cardiac glycoside, which can make dogs very sick.
Then there are insects that carry parasites. The parasites include stomach worms such as tapeworms and heart worms.Check Price on Amazon
In most cases, if your dog eats a bug once in a while, he should be OK. However, if your dog loves to eat bugs on a regular basis, then it’s important to watch him for any concerning symptoms. These can include digestive tract issues:
- Abdominal pain & swelling
- Excessive drooling
Dogs can also experience an allergic reaction to eating certain insects. So, it’s important to watch for symptoms of an allergic reaction, including:
- Excessive drooling
- Itchy, irritated skin
- Breathing difficulties
If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then be sure to call the vet right away. It’s best to have your dog checked just in case his symptoms could be life-threatening, such as an anaphylactic reaction or an intestinal blockage.
In most cases, dogs who receive prompt medical treatment will go on to make a full recovery!