My Dog Ate a Bottle Cap What Should I Do?
Bottle caps come in plastic and metal, depending on the type of beverage they’re from. Does your dog ever seem very interested in bottle caps? Does he try to play with bottle caps? If so, there’s something you need to know!
Bottle Caps Can be Dangerous
Bottle caps of any type—plastic or metal—can be dangerous is swallowed. Either type of bottle cap can just pass on through a dog’s digestive system, and then come out in the dog’s poop.
However, bottle caps can still pose a choking hazard or could become stuck in a dog’s intestines, causing an intestinal obstruction.Check Price on Amazon
What to Do if Your Dog Swallows a Bottle Cap
The best thing to do is call the vet and let them know exactly what’s happened. Be sure to tell the vet if the bottle cap was plastic or metal. The vet may ask you to bring in the dog for an exam.
The exam may include a physical exam, lab work and imaging, such as x-rays. X-rays will be able to show where the bottle cap is located inside your dog.
If the bottle cap was swallowed in the past hour or so, the vet may be able to retrieve the object using an endoscope.
However, the vet may find the object has already passed into the intestines. In that case, they may recommend that your fur baby stay in the hospital so they can track the bottle cap. The vet may be able to do this with the use of a barium swallow, which helps the vet see where the bottle cap is.
If the bottle cap is moving and eventually comes out, then you’ll be able to bring your fur baby home. However, if the bottle cap becomes stuck, then the vet will need to have surgery to get the object out before it can cause some real damage.Check Price on Amazon
The Key is to Act Quickly
Once your dog has swallowed a bottle cap, the key is to quickly act. This means calling the vet and alerting them to what’s happened, then asking for their advice. Never induce vomiting, as this can cause worse problems for your dog. Only take this step if the vet recommends it.
With quick action, you can keep your dog from develop an intestinal blockage, which is a life-threatening medical emergency. So, quick action is the key to keeping your dog safe if he swallows any type of bottle cap.