My Cat Ate Silica Gel What Should I Do?
Silica gel comes in many products we buy, including shoes, medications, and more. You probably have silica gel laying around the house somewhere! Maybe she’s even found it and been playing with it!
Has your cat eaten some silica gel? Can silica gel make your cat sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We know it can be scary when our cats eat something they shouldn’t. It’s hard to know what to do next.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about silica gel and whether or not it can make your cat sick. Let’s get started!
What is Silica Gel?
Those tiny white packages of silica gel are found in so many products we buy today. They’re found in everything from shoe boxes, medicine bottles, and so much more. You may find it in new luggage, purses, and even in beef jerky packages. But what is silica gel?
Silica gel is a desiccant, which means it’s a material that soaks up moisture. It’s made from volcanic ash, calcium chloride, and other similar materials. When you see one of those white packets, it’s there to ensure the product doesn’t become damp.
The packets work to take in moisture when there’s too much and releasing moisture when things become too dry.
But what happens if your cat eats silica gel?
Silica Gel & Cats
Silica gel is non-toxic; that’s the good news. However, silica gel can cause gastrointestinal issues if eaten. The problem can be mild or severe, depending on the cat and how much of the silica gel she’s eaten.
What’s more, silica gel can also be a choking hazard if swallowed. If your cat is having breathing difficulties after eating silica gel, then call the vet immediately.
And if a large amount of silica gel has been ingested, then it’s possible the cat may develop an intestinal blockage. This is a very dangerous medical condition that can lead to death if left untreated.
Symptoms of Silica Gel Ingestion in Cats
You may notice these symptoms if your cat has eaten silica gel:
- Abdominal pain
- Lack of appetite
- Abdominal pain/swelling
If your cat is showing any of these symptoms after eating silica gel, then call the vet immediately. This could be a medical emergency.
Treatment will depend on your cat’s symptoms. If the vet makes a diagnosis of an intestinal blockage, they may need to perform emergency surgery. The surgery is done to safely remove the blockage and repair any damage to the digestive tract.
In most cases, your cat should make a full recovery if she receives prompt medical care after eating silica gel. We bet that in the future, your fur baby will stay far away from silica gel!