My Cat Ate Sage Will He Get Sick?
Oh no! Your cat has just eaten sage out in the garden! He swallowed it before you could get there! Is sage toxic for cats?
What is Sage?
Sage is a very popular herb that’s used in a wide range of foods, as well as other uses. In fact, you may even put this herb in your stuffing! Sage can be used either fresh or dried and is found in any grocery store.
The spice comes from an evergreen shrub called sage, which is a member of the mint family. Sage comes in a wide range of types and can even be grown in your home garden. This yummy hard has been used from ancient times for cooking, but also for medicinal purposes.
While sage is safe for us, is it safe for cats? Is sage toxic for cats?Check Price on Amazon
Sage & Cats
According to the ASPCA, a small amount of sage is not toxic to cats. However, it can cause some issues in cats if ingested in large amounts. For instance, it can cause an upset stomach. It may also cause central nervous system issues in some cats, but only in very large amounts.
You may notice these symptoms if your cat ingests sage:
If you notice these symptoms in your cat, it’s a good idea to call the vet. This may not be a medical emergency; however, if the vomiting and diarrhea don’t stop, then your fur baby needs to be checked.
What about Burning Sage & Cats?Check Price on Amazon
Many people use sage in cultural ceremonies or even to refresh the air in their home. However, this can be a problem for cats. The reason is due to the chemicals that are given off in the smoke. For this reason, the smoke can cause symptoms in your cat including:
- Watery eyes
- Breathing difficulties
If your cat is experiencing these symptoms, especially breathing difficulties, this could be a medical emergency. Call your vet immediately. Your cat may be having an allergic reaction. Breathing difficulties may be a sign that your cat is having a severe reaction, which can be life-threatening.
As you can see, in most cases sage is completely safe for cats. If your fur baby eats a small amount of safe, he will be OK. However, if he ingests a very large amount or if burning sage brings on respiratory problems, then it’s imperative to call the vet as soon as possible.