My Cat Ate Kalanchoe What Should I Do?
Having indoor and outdoor plants is often a joy for many pet parents. But sometimes, we forget to consider that some of the plants we love may be poisonous to our cats.
One beautiful plant that many of us love to grow is the kalanchoe. They flower and look so beautiful! But are kalanchoes toxic to cats? What happens if a cat eats kalanchoe?
Has your cat eaten some kalanchoe? Are you worried the kalanchoe will make your cat sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the kalanchoe and whether or not it will make a cat sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Kalanchoe?Check Price on Amazon
A kalanchoe is a type of succulent plant that can be grown inside or outside, depending on where you live. There are over 100 species of kalanchoes! Who knew! They originally came from Madagascar and there the plants preferred dry environments.
Kalanchoes are very popular because they’re easy to care for, have interesting leaves, and beautiful flowers. When taken care of properly, the plant will flower all year long. What’s more, kalanchoes come in a wide range of colors, including red, pink, yellow, and white.
While these are beautiful plants, what happens if a cat eats a kalanchoe? Will the kalanchoe make the cat sick?
Kalanchoes & Cats
Unfortunately, kalanchoes are toxic to cats. Some people wonder if one type of kalanchoe is more toxic than other. The answer is no; all kalanchoes are toxic to cats. In addition, all parts of the plant are toxic, though higher levels of toxins are found in the stems or leaves.
The highest level of toxicity is during the summer, which is the plant’s growing & blooming season.
The plants contain toxic substances called bufadienolides, which include bryotoxins, bersalgenins, and bryophyllins.
Symptoms of Kalanchoe Toxicity in CatsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your cat has eaten any part of the kalanchoe plant:
- Excessive drooling
- Abdominal pain
- Changes in heart rate
- Extreme coldness
- Loss of appetite
Kalanchoe toxicity can lead to death; no lethal dose has been determined. It depends on how much of the plant was eaten.
If you notice these symptoms in your cat, call the vet immediately. This may be a life-threatening medical emergency. Your cat’s life depends on getting prompt medical care.
There’s no known antidote to kalanchoe toxicity in cats. However, the vet may choose to induce vomiting, use activated charcoal, as well as provide hydration through an IV. The vet will also treat any other symptoms that may appear. There’s a very good chance your fur baby will need to stay in the hospital for a time until she’s stable.
The prognosis is better for cats who receive prompt medical care after eating any part of a kalanchoe plant.