My Cat Ate Daylily Leaves What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 11/14/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Cat Ate Daylily Leaves What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many people love daylilies and have them planted in the garden and around the house. The flowers are beautiful and add a touch of color wherever they’re planted. Cats, by nature, are highly curious about everything in their environment, including daylilies. Sometimes a cat may even try to eat a part of a daylily. But what happens if a cat eats daylily leaves?

Has your cat eaten daylily leaves? Are you worried the daylily leaves will make your cat sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your cat eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about daylilies and whether they can make a cat sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What are Daylilies?

Daylilies are flowering plants that grow from fleshy roots. The plants are very appreciated for their beautiful, colorful flowers. The plants usually bloom during the day and are popular for use in bouquets, gardens, and more.

While daylilies are beautiful flowers, what happens if a cat eats daylily leaves?

Daylilies & Cats

Unfortunately, daylilies are toxic to cats. All parts of the plant, including the stem, pollen, leaves, and petals, are poisonous to cats (even in small amounts).

Once the cat has eaten the leaves or any other part of the plant, symptoms may start to show within 6 to 12 hours.

Symptoms of Daylily Leave Ingestion in Cats

You may notice these symptoms if your cat has eaten daylily leaves:

If you notice these or any other symptoms in your cat, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Even a small amount of daylily leaves can cause death in cats.

Treatment of Daylily Toxicity in Cats

There’s no known antidote for daylily poisoning; however, the vet can work to decontaminate your cat’s system by inducing vomiting, using activated charcoal, or another method. The vet may also give your fur baby an IV with fluids and administer medications. The vet will treat any other symptoms as they arise.

In some cases, a cat may need to be hospitalized until she’s in stable condition.

The best prognosis is for cats who receive prompt treatment after eating daylily leaves. Even so, older cats who have health troubles or kittens do have a more challenging time overcoming daylily toxicity.

For this reason, you may want to consider removing daylilies from your yard and garden. Also, avoid having daylilies in the house, where they may be tempting for a cat to chew on. Prevention is always the best medicine!

(Visited 76 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading