My Cat Ate Candy Will He Get Sick?
Our cats are sometimes very interested in what we’re eating. No matter if we’re eating fruit, meat, or even candy, there are cats that will beg for what you have!
Has your cat eaten some candy? Are you worried candy will make your cat sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at sweets and whether or not they can make a cat sick. Let’s get started!
Why Do Cats Like Candy?
What’s funny is that cats can’t really aren’t able to taste sweet things. Cats have about 470 taste buds, which are not related to tastes that are sweet. So, why do cats want sweets and candy?
No one really has the answer to that. In some candies or sweets, it may be certain smells that seem good to our feline friends. For instance, mint may be similar to the smell of catnip, which most cats love. Or there may be some other flavors that the cat can taste in certain sweets. However, one thing is certain, and that is cats are not able to taste the sweetness of candy.
Can candy make cats sick?
Candy & Cats
The answer is it depends. Cats should not eat sugar, as they’re not able to efficiently digest this sweet substance. Eating sugar may cause vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. The severity of the symptoms will vary from cat to cat and depend on how much was eaten.
Sugar isn’t the only problem in candy, however. There are other ingredients that are very toxic to cats, which include:
Xylitol (and other artificial sweeteners): these are often found in sugar-free candy and other sweets. Xylitol can lead to an upset stomach, liver damage, a major drop in blood pressure, seizures, and death in cats.
Chocolate: is toxic to cats (and dogs). The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Eating chocolate can cause nausea, muscle tremors, seizures, heart arrhythmia, and more.
Raisins/grapes: can cause kidney failure in cats (and dogs)
Caffeine: is very toxic to cats (and dogs) and causes similar symptoms as chocolate.
What to Do If Your Cat’s Eaten Candy
First, try to see what kind of candy your cat’s eaten. Then determine how much of it she may have ingested. Next, call the vet. Don’t wait to see if your cat will develop symptoms or wait to see how bad the symptoms may become. Your cat needs to see the vet as soon as possible.
In most cases, a cat that’s eaten candy will make a full recovery if they receive prompt medical attention. Getting your fur baby to the vet quickly means she’ll be back to her playful self in no time!