My Cat Ate Aglaonema Chinese Evergreen Will He Get Sick? (Reviewed by Vet)

Reviewed By Evie Moloney, RCVS •  Updated: 03/03/23 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Cat Ate Aglaonema Chinese Evergreen

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Cats occasionally are interested in houseplants, sometimes to the point of trying to eat them. Has your cat tried to eat your Chinese Evergreen? Then you may want to read this.

What is Chinese Evergreen?

Chinese evergreen plants are tropical Asian plants that are commonly used as a houseplant.These plants even produce small, white flowers that look something like the flower you see on a peace lily.

Chinese evergreen plants are also commonly called by these names: Aglaonema, diamond boy, emerald boy, moonlight bay, stripes, Philippine evergreen, and poison dart plant. Their scientific name is Aglaonema spp.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Chinese Evergreen is Toxic to Cats

Unfortunately, Chinese evergreens are toxic to cats. This is due to the substance they contain, which is insoluble calcium oxalate. This substance is a type of crystal, which is created by the plant as a defense against insects that eat plants.

When the crystals are ingested, right away they pass into the oral tissues. The crystals can then cause pain, burning, and irritation. They can also cause irritation of the digestive tract. And in some rare cases, calcium oxalate crystals can cause swelling of the upper airway, which can make breathing difficult. It is important to contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet may have eaten some Chinese evergreen plant.

What Are The Symptoms of Chinese Evergreen Toxicity in Cats?

You may notice these symptoms if your cat has eaten some Chinese evergreen:

If you know or suspect your cat has eaten Chinese Evergreen, then you should call the vet right away. If your cat is having breathing difficulties, then this is a medical emergency.

Treatment for Chinese Evergreen Toxicity in Cats

There’s no specialized treatment or antidote for Chinese evergreen toxicity in cats. The vet will perform a physical exam and may also do lab work (run blood tests). After this, they will treat the cat’s symptoms and remove any part of the plant that may remain in the cat’s mouth. They may advise hospitalizing your cat on IV fluids (a drip) to help support their recovery. In addition, medications may be used to help with vomiting and pain. You cat may also require additional medication if they are having breathing difficulties.

In most cases, cats completely recover with no ill effects. The sooner your pet receives veterinary care after eating Chinese evergreens, the better their chance of making a full recovery is.

If your cat seems to have a penchant for eating Chinese evergreen plants, then it’s a good idea to move the plant to a space your cat isn’t able to access. Just to be on the safe side!

CheckedbyVets stamp

(Visited 4,375 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Evie Moloney, RCVS

This article has been reviewed and approved by an independent Veterinarian: Evie is a vet surgeon who graduated from the University College Dublin, which is the only university offering the veterinary medicine degree in Ireland. She really enjoys surgery and has also worked as an emergency and critical care vet. She is passionate about sharing education about preventative health care for pets, especially the importance of regular dog and cat teeth brushing at home. She also enjoys helping owners find practical solutions for keeping pets as comfortable as possible while living with conditions such as arthritis. When not working, she enjoys hiking and swimming.

Keep Reading