My Cat Ate a Moth Will He Get Sick?
Cats enjoy chasing bugs around. Have you ever noticed your cat going after a fly or some other insect? Insects move in so many fascinating ways, and in ways that are not predictable. Cats love that and can’t help but be play with a bug that looks tempting!
But what happens if a cat eats a moth?
Can Cats Eat Moths?Check Price on Amazon
More than likely your fur baby has had moths in the past, even if this is the first time you’ve seen him eat one! There’s just something attracts cats to flying insects. This could be the fact they fly, and that you never really know when the bug will take off or fly next. And where will it land?
Cats love moths for these reasons. It’s the challenge of the chase! Plus, there are some cats who seem to love eating moths. Who can say why? Maybe moths taste good to the cats! Yuck!
For the most part, moths are pretty harmless for cats. They are not toxic. If your fur baby eats too much yummy moths, though, he could develop an upset stomach. This could lead to diarrhea and vomiting.
There is one moth, however, that is toxic to cats. This is the Garden Tiger moth. It’s more common in North America. You’ll know this moth as it has a striking appearance. The wings may be brown and white, or even black and white, and look as if they have spots similar to cows.
We couldn’t find much information on how the moths affect a cat. But just that these moths can be toxic to cats. So, if you notice your fur baby chasing these around the garden or outside, then be sure to stop him. He should not eat the Garden Tiger moth.
Is it Normal for Cats to Catch Moths?Check Price on Amazon
Yes, whether it’s to play with and then eat the moth, this is very normal behavior in cats. Just like their wild ancestors, our house cats are omnivores. Not only will a cat chase a bug for fun, but sometimes a cat may also eat the bug out of hunger. This is completely normal.
If your fur baby enjoys a moth snack once in a while, he’ll be OK. Just watch to see if he shows any signs of an upset stomach.
Do Moths Carry Parasites that are Dangerous for Cats?
No, moths don’t usually carry parasites. So, your fur baby won’t become infected with a parasite after eating a moth.
Let your cat have some fun, ensure he has enough to eat, and he will be OK. He’s acting normal by eating moths once in a while. If you notice that it’s happening more often, then it might be a good idea to take him to see the vet for a checkup. And if he has too many moths and gets an upset digestive system, you may want to get that checked by the vet, too. In most cases, your fur baby will be OK!