Are Peace Lilies Toxic To Dogs

By Kim •  Updated: 07/10/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Are Peace Lilies Toxic To Dogs

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Peace lilies are popular plants that are used as houseplants or grown outside in warmer environments. They are very pretty; however, are peace lilies toxic to dogs?

Has your dog eaten some peace lilies? Are you worried the peace lilies will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about peace lilies and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Peace Lilies?

Peace lilies (also called the Spathiphyllum) are flowering plants in the Araceae family. The plants have large, oval, flat leaves with white flowers that hover above the plant’s foliage. They’re popular as houseplants and are sometimes used to keep indoor air cleaner. However, the plants can also be grown outside in tropical and subtropical environments.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

And dogs being dogs, they will try to eat some curious things sometimes, including peace lilies! But can peace lilies make a dog sick?

Peace Lilies & Dogs

Unfortunately, the peace lily plant is somewhat toxic to dogs. All parts of the plant contain a substance called calcium oxalate crystals, which can make a dog sick. Thankfully, the toxin is considered mild and usually doesn’t cause death; however, it can make a dog feel pretty sick.

Symptoms of Peace Lily Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten some peace lily:

If your dog has eaten any part of the peace lily, it’s best to call the vet. While the toxin usually isn’t deadly, your fur baby will feel pretty sick. The vet has medications that can ease your dog’s symptoms and help him feel better sooner.

Treatment of Peace Lily Ingestion in Dogs

When you get to the vet’s, they will examine your dog and may do blood work or other tests. The vet will wash your dog’s mouth and other body parts that have come in contact with the peace lily toxins. And if your fur baby is vomiting and having diarrhea, the vet has medications that can end these symptoms. The vet will also treat any other symptoms your dog is having.

The good news is that peace lilies rarely cause death; however, it’s still a good idea to take your dog to the vet if he’s eaten any of the plant. That way, your fur baby can feel better sooner, and you can rest assured he will be OK!

(Visited 14 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]