Are Lily Of The Valley Poisonous to Dogs
Before we begin, it’s essential to let you know this article is about the Lily of the valley plant, not the shrub. There’s a difference between these plants, so we wanted to ensure you know this is about lily of the valley flowers, not the shrub.
Lily of valley are perennial plants that bear beautiful white, sweet-smelling flowers in the spring. You can’t help but pick a few flowers when you see them growing! While the plant is pretty, is lily of the valley poisonous to dogs?
Has your dog eaten lily of the valley? Are you worried the lily of the valley will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about lily of the valley and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Lily of the Valley?
Lily of the valley is a plant that originally came from Europe but also lives in the US. It usually grows low to the ground, but can grow as tall as 2 feet high. The flowers bloom in spring and early summer.
The lily of the valley plant has several different varieties that are found in the US, including:
- majalis Albostriata
- majalis Berlin Giant
- majalis Green Tapestry
- majalis Rosea
- majalis Flore Pleno
The plants are popular, but are they toxic to dogs?
Lily of the Valley & Dogs
Unfortunately, lily of the valley is poisonous to dogs. The plant contains 38 different cardiac glycosides that can irritate the digestive tract and disrupt the heart’s normal function. All parts of the plant are toxic, including the bulb, roots, stems, leaves, and flowers.
Symptoms of Lily of the Valley Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten lily of the valley:
- Excessive drooling
- Irregular heartbeat
- Slow heartbeat
- Dilated pupils
- Central nervous system depression (lethargy)
- Drunken walk
- Weakness & collapse
If your dog is showing these symptoms or you suspect he’s eaten lily of the valley, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency that could be life-threatening.
Treatment of Lily of the Valley Ingestion in Dogs
When you reach the vet, they may try gastric lavage and activated charcoal to remove the toxin from your dog’s body. They will also run bloodwork and other tests to check your fur baby’s situation. In most cases, the vet may choose to hospitalize your dog. This is usually done to monitor your dog’s heart rates, blood pressure, and oxygen levels.
The vet will also provide additional care in the form of IV fluids and other medications needed to treat your dog’s condition.
The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt medical care. In that case, the dog may need to be hospitalized for a few days or until his condition is stable.
As you can see, lily of the valley can be highly toxic. So, if your dog likes to munch on plants, you may want to consider removing it to ensure your fur baby stays happy and healthy!