10 Homemade Treat Recipes for Dogs
Does your dog have health issues that keep him on a restricted diet? Are you worried about harmful ingredients used in dog treats? Then you’ve come to the right place! We understand your concerns and the health needs of your fur baby. As a result, we’ve come up with 10 healthy homemade treat recipes for dogs that will have your pup begging for more!
1. Buckwheat Gluten Free Dog Treats
This homemade grain free dog treat for dogs has been created for pups that need to stay away from grains. Not only this recipe gluten free, but it’s also highly nutritious due to pumpkin used in the recipe.
2 cups of buckwheat flour 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds (flax meal) 2 big eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin puree 1/4 cup chicken (or beef stock)
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F)
- Place 2 big baking sheets side by side; cut parchment baking paper to fit each pan, then lay the parchment paper inside each pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, put the buckwheat flour and ground flax meal, then add all the other ingredients to the dry mix. Use a mixer to mix it all thoroughly and beat on medium (or high—depending on your mixer) until the ingredients are completely mixed and create a smooth dough.
- Use a 1 tablespoon scoop
- With a fork, press down on the doughy mounds as if making just peanut butter cookies; press on each mound until it’s about 1/4” thick.
- Then bake in the preheated oven for about twenty minutes. Open the oven and carefully turn each dog treat over. Then return to oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- When the treats are done, remove the dog treats from the pan and place onto a cooling rack. Once they’re all cooled, you can safely store them in an air tight container to keep them crisp and yummy for your pup!
2. Three Ingredient Vegan, Gluten Free Dog Treats
This is an easy and simple home grain free dog treat recipe which requires only a small number of ingredients. Not only that, but this recipe is quick, too; you can bake these up quickly when you have a few extra minutes in your busy day.
These dog treats are great for dogs who need to be on a vegan diet, and/or for pups on a gluten free diet. You only need a small amount of rice flour or oats, peanut butter and one or two bananas—that’s it!
You’ll create a tasty, healthy treat for your fur baby—he’s sure to love these homemade treats for sure!
1 cup Oat or Rice Flour 2 ripe Bananas, (properly mashed) ¼ cup Peanut Butter
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (175°C).
- Mash the peeled banana, then mix with the peanut butter until thoroughly smooth.
- Add a half cup of oat or rice flour to the banana and peanut butter mix, then stir until evenly combined, and then add the remaining half.
- Using your hands, finish mixing the dough until it forms a smooth, solid ball.
- Chill the dough for 20 minutes to make it firm. (This step is optional).
- Remove the dough from the fridge, place on parchment paper or on a well-floured counter as desired.
- Roll out the dough until it’s about ½ inch thick.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out the desired shapes (you might conside using cookie cutters that have a dog’s foot print, are shaped like dogs and other animals, etc).
- Move the cut-out cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet and use a fork to poke holes into each treat, which allows steam to escape while the cookies are baking.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container. Also be sure the treats are thoroughly cooled before serving to your pup!
3. Sweet Potato Fries for Dogs (and Their Humans)
This recipe is great for dogs and their humans who enjoy sweet potatoes. It’s a healthy snack that contains both cumin and paprika. Cumin works to create a healthy cardiovascular system, improves memory, and even helps increase the metabolism, which is great for both overweight humans and their fur baby’s. Paprika contains capsaicin, which works to reduce inflammation in the body. This is great for people and dogs suffering from arthritis and other inflammatory diseases. You and your furry companion can enjoy these wonderful sweet potato fries!
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil Kosher salt 1 large egg white
2 medium peeled sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C), placing a cookie sheet inside as it heats.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, cumin, paprika, and olive oil in a bowl and add a teaspoonful of salt to the mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk in the egg white until it is frothy, then add the sweet potatoes and pour the breadcrumb mixture into the egg bowl.
- Toss until coated before adding the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Spread on the hot baking sheet and bake until it is crispy.
4. Ginger Apple Dog Treats Recipes
This is another gluten free recipe that makes use of brown rice flour. Your fur baby is sure to enjoy these yummy gluten free homemade dog treats! He’ll be hanging around the oven as these bake!
2 1/3 cup brown rice flour One teaspoon baking powder One cup of peeled/finely diced apple
Half cup of pumpkin One egg Half cup of water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix both the flour and baking powder together until all lumps are smoothed out before adding the diced apple, pumpkin, egg, and water.
- Stir until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut into desired shapes before transferring to the already lined baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool off completely on a wire rack and then these yummy treats will be ready for your canine companion!
5. Salmon & Sweet Potato Dog Treats
This is a superb recipes for both puppies and adult dogs. This recipe offers healthy ingredients and is a healthy source of protein for growing puppies and adult dogs.
2 cups of salmon (of any kind as you wish; deboned, cooked or canned)
2 cups of dry mashed sweet potato 1 1/2 cups garbanzo bean flour 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Open and drain salmon if it is canned. Finely mash the fish and break up any chunks and be sure to remove any bones.
- Stir together the Salmon & sweet Potato in a mixing bowl then add egg, parsley and baking powder, and then stir well, until completely combined.
- Gently sift in the garbanzo bean flour little by little as you stir continuously, until the dough is firm enough (not too thick and not too soft).
- Roll dough into quarter or half inch thick balls using your hand and arrange the rounds on a cookie sheet, pressing them down with your thumb.
- Bake for like 25 – 30 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown as desired.
Remove warm treats from the cookie sheets and place on racks to cool. Be sure to let them cool completely before giving your dog a taste!
6. Banana Almond Puppy Treats Recipe
This is another homemade soft dog treat for anyone who has puppies or even adult dogs who may have dental issues. These puppy treats are the perfect for your puppy—he will enjoy their crispiness while receiving some great-tasting nutrition, too! This is a fast and easy recipe your puppy is sure to enjoy!
3 cups old fashioned oats 2 ripe bananas (properly mashed) 1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and set aside a lined baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the bananas, peanut butter and coconut oil, then add 2 tablespoons of oats at a time while mixing, until the dough ceases to be sticky.
- Knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together then roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness or as desired.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place on the already prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake until the edges are golden brown and then allow to cool off completely before serving to your hungry fur baby!
7. Frozen Apple Dog Treats
Here’s an awesome dog treat recipe that doesn’t require cooking or baking! This quick and easy treat is sure to become one of your fur baby’s favorites! This recipe requires only two ingredients; two apples and a cup of nonfat plain yogurt. These frozen treats are great to help cool your dog on hot, summer days!
- Slice the apples into small pieces and take care to remove both the core and the seeds.
- Mix both the apple and the yogurt together, until well combined.
- Pour a sizable amount of water into your blender and pour in the apple and yogurt mixture.
- Blend until well combined.
- Pour it into ice cube trays and refrigerate until it solidifies, then serve to your pup and watch him gobble up these tasty treats!
8. Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Dog Treats
Are you a pet lover, but aren’t a fan of cooking? Would you like to give your furry canine companion healthy homemade treats without all the fuss? Then this is the perfect treat for your pet! It doesn’t require many ingredients and is very easy to make. This is another no-bake/no-cook homemade dog treats recipe.
32 ounces vanilla yogurt 1 cup peanut butter
- Dissolve the peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Pour the yogurt into the bowl with the melted peanut butter and mix until well-combined.
- Now use a cupcake pan, lined with cupcake papers and put the mixture in small portions into the cupcake papers, then put in the freezer until completely frozen. Your treat is now ready for your pet!
9. Apple Crunch Pupcakes
This recipe is peanut butter-free for dogs who can’t eat it. These Apple Crunch Pupcakes are awesome treats just right for your special fur baby!
2 ¾ of cups water ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce 2 tbsp of honey 1 medium-sized egg
1 cup dried unsweetened apple chips 1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tbsp vanilla extract 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mix the honey, egg, vanilla and the applesauce in a bowl with water until everything is well combined.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, then mix until evenly combined; be sure the mixture doesn’t become too thick.
- Pour into the muffin pans and bake for about 1 ¼ hours, until done.
10. Leftover Trail Mix
This is another peanut butter-free recipe that uses ingredients you probably already have on hand! It’s easy and your dog will love it! This recipe creates a snack mix made with dried veggies, meat and fruit. Think of it as doggie trail mix!
Pieces or slices of unseasoned meat Potatoes Fruits (but no grape or raisins)
Any kind of vegetables safe for dogs (except onions, garlic, etc.)
- Cut all ingredients into pieces that are about ½ inch each.
- Lightly spray the pieces with cooking spray.
- Then place in a 200°F (94°C) preheated oven until dried.
We hope your pup will love these healthy recipes! Each recipe is fast and easy will make it easy to give your dog healthy homemade dog treats. You control the ingredients in each recipe, so you won’t have to worry about giving your dog harmful ingredients made overseas.