My Dog Ate Losartan What Should I Do?
Have you ever dropped a tablet on the floor and not found it? Or has your dog jumped on the pill right when it fell on the floor?
These things can happen. It’s a common occurrence to drop medications and then have them roll someplace we can’t find them. The danger is your dog could find it. The other issue is when your dog is standing right by you when a pill drops on the floor. Some dogs pounce on the pill as a snack and snarf it down before you have a chance to even tell them no!
What happens if your dog ingests a medication called Losartan? Is it dangerous?
What is Losartan?Check Price on Amazon
Losartan is a human medication that used to treat high blood pressure (also called hypertension). It’s also used to protect kidneys from being damaged by diabetes and is used to lower the incidence of strokes in people who have a combination and an enlarged heart.
This is medicine works to relax the blood vessels, making it easier for blood to flow.
Losartan is also sometimes used in veterinary medicine to treat high blood pressure and kidney problems in dogs and cats. However, it’s used at much lower doses than humans take.
While this medication has been approved by the FDA to treat humans, it’s not been approved for use in veterinary medicine. However, the FDA does allow vets to prescribe this medication for use with animals.
The normal dose of Losartan for dogs and cats is 0.5 mg/kg.
Is a Human Dose of Losartan Dangerous for my Dog?Check Price on Amazon
Yes. A human dose of Losartan is toxic to dogs. You may notice these symptoms if your dog has ingested a Losartan pill:
- Lack of appetite
- Low blood pressure
The worst part is that symptoms may not show up until 2-3 hours after the medication was ingested.
If you know or suspect your dog has swallowed Losartan, then call the vet immediately. This is a life-threatening medical emergency.
To avoid these types of accidents, be sure to keep all medications out of your dog’s reach. When taking your own medication, try to take tablets over the sink. Just put a small towel in the sink to catch pills if they fall. This way, if you drop a pill it will land in the sink (in most cases). You can easily retrieve it and won’t have to worry your dog finds it before you do!