There will never be any doubt that putting a collar on a dog can greatly improve its well-being and health. This is because newer collars allow dogs to run around safely and freely, while you have complete peace of mind that you can track them wherever they are.
These collar-trackers not only pinpoint where your dog is, they also track his daily activities to make sure he gets enough exercise and stays active. If you spend any amount of time searching for the best dog fence to help your dog be safe, you’ve probably come upon three companies more than any other: Wagz, Halo, and SpotOn.
What Options Are Out There: Wagz, Halo, and SpotOn
What Wagz, Halo, and Spot On collars usually have is that they allow you to easily control your pet’s behavior. They can be used as GPS- or activity-monitors so that your dog doesn’t become lost or wander far when it’s out for some fun.
The body of the dog collar is made from hard, matte black plastic, with a glossy top for the logo. This also creates the look that dog owners will be excited to see where the battery will be positioned when it is being slid into the collar at the very moment. Wagz Freedom Collars are extremely strong and easy to use, and can be worn by dogs weighing up to 15 pounds or even more. The Freedom collar and clip measure 2 in. (H) x 2.375 in. (W) x 1.5 in (depth). The device weighs about 50 grams and is designed to reduce neck strain.
The shock-proof fences and well-being collars operate on three wireless connectivity types: LTE Cat M1, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz only). The collar automatically determines the best wireless network connection type for your dog based on his current location. Moreover, dogs who leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth range need good cellular coverage, and Wagz urges anyone thinking about buying one to check their coverage area.
The Wagz smart dog collars feature highly accurate GPS navigation that tracks and locates the dogs. With the help of fence technology, owners are able to create custom geo-fences for their dogs to roam in, and deter their animals by using human vibration and other sensorial deterrents to keep them in their territory. Wagz uses a combination of GPS and Wi-Fi to locate the dog, but it also tracks the device using Bluetooth and other wireless networks. When the dog is far from your smartphone or Wi-Fi, the tracker can track your pet’s movements in real time and report back to you on its location wherever you are.
This system is controlled through the Wagz app. Using the Wagz app, you can create a geo-fence around your house by placing a number or pin on a map or by entering the right address. If you create a geo-fence around your home, you can set a sound or vibration whenever your dog attempts to break through the fence. Dogs do not have to be restrained to stay safe; the dog products track their activity and health levels in real-time. What’s great is the fact the Wags Freedom collar does not provide any type of shock to your dog.
People love the fact that the Wagz collar will work even if it is submerged for up to 30 minutes in water, and it can work even if it is very rainy. The IP67 water-resistant collars for dogs are perfect if you have one that likes to splash or swim in water. The collar comes equipped with 2 batteries that are easily swappable, so that if it is necessary to recharge the battery after a long day, it can be done easily. The battery can last approximately 24 hours.
There is also an LED safety light that can be used as a deterrent for pets who love to go out at night. It provides plenty of security for your pet. The system is one of the most sophisticated in terms of technology and integrates seamlessly with Internet-of-things devices. Wagz can connect to other different devices, such as Amazon Alexa. This allows you to do more fun things with you and the dog. Its connectivity requires iOS 11 or Android 6 or newer smartphones.
If all you are looking for is a good, cheap way to stop your dog from doing certain behaviors, and that means that you can stop him from doing what is wrong, this is the right product for you.
Halo collars come in a range of sizes, from 11 to 30 inches. The dog collar is completely waterproof, and the battery can last up to 20 hours. Like other smart home products, the Halo dog tags are wired to act like a fence, but you don’t need to dig a trench to connect them. Instead, teach your puppy to obey when you confront them with a problem when they approach the boundary of a game.
It is extremely easy to use, and very versatile: you can set up 20 fences at any location you want, such as your own home or a friend’s house. With the ability to monitor 20 fence post locations that are 6.2 miles apart, the dog collar can monitor up to 1,200 miles.
The Halo collar is first and most definitely a shock collar, but it will not hurt your dog. Usually, when your dogs are a bit too interested in something and become close to a perimeter, it will give them warning signals, in the form of a sound, or a small vibration or shock.
The Halo collar allows you to easily create different corrections for your dog. It has options that allow you to give your dog audibly, vibrationally, or static corrections with 15 levels of strength. It works with most dog breeds. However, some dogs may need more strong corrections to be effective. It’s better to start with softer ones to make sure they’re not too overwhelming for your dog.
Just as smartwatches track your health and activity habits, the Halo collar lets you know how active your dog is. It will tell you when they have had a good walk and how many times they have played fetch. You are able to check out the app on your phone to see exactly how often your dog has been out and about, and how much time they spent exercising or just lying down. With this information, you can plan how your dog will behave each day, and give you valuable information about how they are doing.
What makes the Halo collar special is the ability to track your position from a distance. It connects to a number of satellites using a GPS/GNSS system for accuracy. If your dog ever runs away, satellites will periodically send a location signal to your phone to help you find them.
Halo collar is also very strong as it is made with durable and tough material. Moreover, you do not have to be worried if your dog loves to splash, because the collar is completely water-resistant.
With small dog collars now available, fences can be installed to accommodate dogs that have necks that measure 10 to 26 inches. This will help dogs that are small. SpotOn is completely water-resistant and also rechargeable.
The collars allow you to safely confine your dog for 18 continuous hours, and if you have a prepaid plan, you can track your dog for 12 hours. When you first buy the battery-operated collar, leave it to fully recharge for 24 hours. But, after that, only a single hour of full charge time will be enough to make the battery 100% charged. SpotOn collars have a shorter battery life than Wagz and Halo, but they are rechargeable in less time.
It is understandably weak when you consider all the other technologies used in the collar’s packing. SpotOn can provide you with up to 1,500 different fences that can be positioned to appear like they are on the same fence. Just walk along the boundaries, and the app will do all the work for you. It can cover a huge area, and is very flexible when it comes to defining boundaries. Just remember that you will need a minimum of half an acre yards to set up the boundaries. So a smaller backyard may not be ideal for you.
You can train your dog to obey commands by deploying the training methods that beep, vibrate, and correct him automatically by simply being in his place. Not just that, but you can set up to 30 levels of intensity for your dog training. It is possible to choose the mode at which you want your dog to behave and then set the intensity and time of the correction. Because SpotOn is designed very cleverly, you are certain that the collar will work properly and there will be no mistakes during corrections.
Using the settings, you can choose the right mode and the right intensity for your dog’s training. Because the trainer harness and fencing system has been designed very carefully, it will never cause your dog to lose his collar or cause him to suffer any physical injuries. It is very amazing to see that the entire system is not only designed to punish your dog if he violates a law, but also to reward him for being loyal and good.
SpotOn’s newest feature, SpotOn True Location, will send satellites to help locate your animal if it does manage to get away. It connects to the Galileo, GPS, GLONASS, & Beidou systems of navigation and is therefore continuously communicating with up to 30 satellites. This provides you with real-time location information for your furry friend.
This allows you to know the precise location up to 10 feet. With map updates happening about once every six seconds, it’s easy to find where your dog is. You don’t need to be concerned that your signal may not be perfect when you are in a densely wooded area. SpotOn boasted that it had a ‘forest mode’ that would allow it to track a car even on difficult terrain.
Comparison of the Features
For the battery life, the Wagz is the winner over the Halo and SpotOn collars. Wagz battery life can last up to 24 hours, and it also comes with 2 swappable batteries. In contrast, the battery life of a Halo is only up to 20 hours; and for a SpotOn, it is just up to 18 hours.
There’s no way to completely guarantee a product’s functionality or quality, and that goes for all collars, including Wagz, Halo, and SpotOn dog collars. There have been complaints about some of the collar’s GPS capabilities.
But every single one of them has its own particular problems. Some people report that the Wagz App glitches and bugs a lot. Many people find it hard to enable the various functions of the SpotOn system. Sometimes the app crashes very quickly.
Meanwhile, Halo has more good reviews, but it often fails to send out the right messages when needed, and in some cases, gives false-negative alerts. However, Halo is always willing to listen to what its customers say. Paying close attention when people complain about their products, Halo launched a new Halo 2 in 2021, and a Halo 2+ in 2022, which included upgrades that added advanced features such as GPS tracking and better location accuracy.
When it comes to GPS security systems, SpotOn GPS is better than any other, as it is used to correctly detect errors and locate GPS satellites. Wagz collar offers three options of shock-free correction (ultrasonic, vibration, audible tones); the Halo collar offers 15 levels that provide audibly, vibrationally, and/or physically correct your dog; but the SpotOn collar offers 30 levels that allow you to find the level that your dog responds to most, depending on how he behaves. But keep in mind, the Wagz collar correction is shock-free, so it will not distress your dog.
Smart collars are expensive, but if you compare the prices of various brands, Wagz, Halo, and SpotOn are clearly the best.
While setting up an account on the Wagz App, users will be asked to select a subscription plan. Wagz allows users to buy an annual plan for $99.99/year ($8.33/month) at activation, or they can pay for a monthly subscription for $9.99/month. Wagz also gives a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 1-year warranty.
Halo is a pretty expensive piece of tech that retails for $999. And to get all the features that you want, you have to have a Halo subscription plan. It also requires a certain amount of monthly data storage for the GPS location services, fences, and even activity tracking.
But, they understand that paying for a subscription can be expensive for many people, so Halo has three plans that cover a wide range of budgets. Nevertheless, the extra cost of some holiday packages is compensated for by many useful extras.
- Basic: The subscription plan for basic is $4.49 every month. This will allow you to have the functionality that your Halo collar needs to function. It allows you to have 20 fences installed and allows you to track and train your dog. This includes 20 different types of fences to fit your needs, with the ability to track and train people.
- Silver: The subscription plan for silver is $4.49 every month. This plan gives all the functionality of the basic package, but adds more customizable features and lets you track your dog’s movements to help you find them. You can look at all your dogs history and see what behavior your dogs have displayed from previous visits.
- Gold: The subscription plan for silver is $29.99 every month. You get all the same features as the silver package, but of course more. With gold, you get premium training classes each month, live sessions with trainers who know what they are talking about, and expert guidance for a fully personalized learning experience.
The packages come with a 60-day guarantee for satisfaction, and they also offer 1-year warranty. There are often discounts available on their website, down to as little as $699!
The SpotOn collar has a pretty hefty price tag of $1,495, and comes with a one-year warranty and a money-back guarantee of 45 days. It allows people to try out its services for 90 days free of charge, but only if they opt for a one- or two- year subscription (either at $7.95 per month or at $5.95 per month). There are other plans that cost $9.95 per month.
Pros and Cons
- You are able to create several geo-fences.
- Vibrations and different sounds help you guide or instruct your dog instead of sending him a stressful electrical shock.
- GPS tracker in dog collar monitors where your dogs are and records their walking logs for health monitoring and activity tracking. Even when they are sleeping.
- It has a LED safety light.
- They offer subscription plans that are affordable.
- It is waterproof for 30 minutes after being fully submerged.
- The collar weighs just 50 grams, making it easily portable.
- Can also be easily connected to IoT devices and is compatible with smartphones running iOS 11, Android 6 or higher.
- It works best for large properties.
- The battery that lasts up to 24 hours may need to be recharged frequently for active dogs, but there is a backup battery that can be used as a spare.
- It also takes a little time for a dog owner to get their dog used to being left alone to work on its behavior.
- For small properties, preferably a 15-ft buffer should be kept in place to allow for any inaccuracies that buildings might cause.
- It will not help dogs that are very persistent and who react very badly to punishment.
- No wire to run.
- Use GPS, Bluetooth, GNSS, Wi-Fi, and also LTE technology.
- This device has a more accurate location as it connects to several GPS satellites.
- Night time Halo indicator lights help you track your pet safely.
- Provide you with multiple ways to keep your dog’s safety.
- Water-resistant and IP-67 rated.
- Batteries last an average of 20 hours.
- Covers a total of 10 miles.
- Available in many subscription plans for various budgets.
- Good app with good reviews,
- 1-year warranty.
- Good customer service and tech support.
- Ideally suited to all dogs of all breeds.
- It’s very costly, even with the necessary subscription plan.
- Minimum area necessary is half an acre.
- Battery does not last as much time as some other collars.
- Require a monthly subscription to use some features.
- Cellular service required some features for smart systems.
- Not suitable for small dogs.
- You can only create twenty virtual fences.
- You are able to be very imaginative and create a amazing fence if you want.
- The fences that are installed with the help of the collars will be easily moved around your house. Basically, you are not marking the boundaries of your property; if you choose to use this special feature, it will work on any fence that you have constructed in your house. Even though different fences are placed near the same place, the system will still function as it should.
- It is necessary that all four satellite constellations are always in communication with each other in order to keep track of which satellite is which in order to get the best result.
- Both collars and apps are so well-designed that there are virtually no chances that the system will fail or that information will be incorrect.
- Able to overlap 1,500 fences.
- Include a free training program.
- There are 30 different ways of correction.
- Subscription plans are more rigid.
- Needs to be recharged frequently.
- Every area needs a minimum of half an acre of land, which means that you need a big property.
- It is impossible to use the automatic notification feature if you don’t have a stable telecommunications network.
When you decide which will win a war between Wagz, Halo, or Spot On dog fence, it really does depend on what you’re after. Taking into account how many features a certain product has, how it performs, and the price, the Wagz is the one that comes out on top. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on a nice dog collar and have a large place to live, the SpotOn collar is a perfect choice. The Halo collar is still a good choice as well if you need a much more reasonably priced dog fence collar.