My Dog Ate Laundry Detergent What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 03/17/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dogs often eat things they shouldn’t, which is called dietary indiscretion (also known as garbage gut). Eating what they shouldn’t is a common habit in dogs, which can lead to serious health issues such as laundry detergent poisoning.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Laundry Detergent Poisoning in Dogs

Most of us have laundry detergent in our homes. We need it to keep our clothes, bedding and towels clean. If your fur baby chooses to ingest laundry detergent, it can cause some serious health issues.

This used to be a somewhat rare health issue. These days, however, soap “pods” have caused an increase in the problem over the last few years. Experts speculate that the pods resemble toys, and this attracts the dog. If the dog pierces the outer membrane of the pod, he may easily swallow the detergent inside.

No matter if the laundry detergent is in a pod, liquid or powder form, it can still be poisonous to your dog. This is due to the ingredients in the soap. Detergents can contain ingredients that irritate and cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, or suffer from chemical burns in the mouth and esophagus.

Another issue is that detergent, when it meets liquid, becomes foamy. This can happen when a detergent meets the liquid in your dog’s digestive tract. If your fur baby develops foam after ingesting detergent, and then vomits, the foam can be inhaled into the lungs. If this happens, the soap covers the airways, and doesn’t allow oxygen exchange, which can cause your canine companion to suffocate.

Poisoning occurs if the dog eats a small or large quantity of the detergent. It can also cause problems with his nose, eyes, skin, paws, and the digestive tract.

Symptoms of Laundry Detergent Poisoning in Dogs

This is not an exhaustive list, but your fur baby could show any of the signs below after ingesting detergent:

What to Do if Your Dog Ate Detergent

Never induce vomiting, unless your vet instructs you to do so. This could cause additional problems in your pup.

The first thing to do is call the vet immediately. If your fur baby only had a small amount of detergent and he’s not vomiting, the vet may advise you to give your dog some water or milk. This works to dilute the detergent. Your fur baby should be OK, but vet may advise you to continue to watch for any symptoms and ask you to call if there’s a problem.

On the other hand, if your dog has ingested a large amount of detergent, the vet will need to see your dog right away. The vet may do a urinalysis and bloodwork.

Treatment will depend on your dog’s symptoms and the amount of detergent he ingested. There’s no antidote, so treatment will be supportive, and your canine companion may need to stay in the hospital for a time.

Treatment may include IV liquids such as medications. Medications may include gastroprotectants and antibiotics, as the detergent can be corrosive in your fur baby’s digestive tract.

The prognosis is very good if your fur baby receives fast, early treatment after eating detergent.

(Visited 15,230 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading